Without speech (Category C)

The bus pass allows free off-peak travel on local buses throughout England for applicants with an eligible disability.

You will be eligible if

  • you are unable to communicate orally in any language for example if you are unable to make clear basic oral requests or you are unable to ask specific questions to clarify instructions.

You will not be eligible if

  • you have speech but it is slow or difficult to understand for example if you have a severe stammer
  • you cannot speak English, but you do speak another language.

Proving that you are eligible

You can do this by providing one of the following:

  • Evidence that you have been awarded 8 or more points for the ‘Communicating Verbally’ activity of Personal Independence Payment (PIP).
  • A letter from social services, or another appropriate organisation providing support services, explaining that you are unable to communicate orally in any language.
  • An Education, Health and Care Plan confirming you are unable to communicate orally in any language.
  • Documents which demonstrate that you are without speech. These may include letters from your consultant or GP which you may already have in your possession.

If you cannot provide the above you may ask another medical professional to complete an evidence form. If you use the NHS please note they are not obliged to provide this service and you may be charged for their time. We do not deal directly with any NHS staff and we cannot contact them on your behalf.

Guidance and evidence form download

Without speech guidance and evidence form (Category C) [202.1 KB] [pdf]