Applying for a disabled person's bus pass
Companion bus pass addition
East Sussex County Council residents can also apply for a companion bus pass addition to their disabled person's bus pass, this pass has an added C+ in the top right corner.
This pass allows someone to travel with you free of charge within East Sussex County Council boundaries and some other bordering areas that accept Companion passes. The bus pass holder also has free off-peak travel on local buses throughout England.
Please note this is a discretionary addition to the scheme for East Sussex County Council residents.
For full details on the use of this pass see Using a companion pass.
How to apply for a companion C+ bus pass
You will need to be eligible for a disabled person's bus pass to apply for the companion C+ to be added to your bus pass.
Accepted proof for a companion bus pass is listed below, this may also be proof you will be providing for your disability:
- Proof that you are registered, or entitled to be registered, as blind or severely sight impaired
- A DLA showing middle or higher rate care
- A PIP award with:
- 12 points for the "Moving around activity"
- 10 points or more for the “Planning and following a journey” activity
- Higher point scores for daily living activities such as
- “Communicating verbally”
- “Reading and understanding signs, symbols and words”
- “Engaging with other people face to face”
- A higher rate Attendance Allowance
- A specialist’s opinion from someone independent who understands your medical condition. The proof must indicate why you need a companion on transport for example:
- Physical Assistance on to or off the bus
- 24/7 attendance due to your condition
- Assistance in planning or managing the journey
- Assistance in identifying the correct bus
We do not normally issue a companion bus pass automatically when applying for your disabled person's bus pass. To request one:
- There is a tick box on our paper application forms to indicate you are applying for one.
- If you are applying online and your evidence doesn't state you need a companion please attach a separate letter or evidence form that requests one. You can also email Concessionary Travel to request one after you have applied.
- All our evidence forms do allow a professional to confirm the need for a companion.