Applying for a disabled person's bus pass
Refusal of driving licence/unable to drive due to medical reasons (Category G)
If you are over 16 applications can be made if you are unable to drive for medical reasons.
You may be eligible if you have:
- epilepsy which is not under control
- a severe mental disorder
- a learning disability not covered by category F
- diabetes where you have hypos
- a visual impairment not covered by category A
You should not apply if you:
- currently hold a full or provisional driving licence
- cannot hold a licence due to the persistent misuse of drugs and/or alcohol.
Records may be shared with the DVLA for the purpose of fraud prevention.
Proving you are eligible
You need to show that one of the following applies:
1. Your driving licence has been revoked on medical grounds.
2. You have been refused a driving licence on medical grounds.
3. You would be ineligible for a driving licence on medical grounds.
IMPORTANT - Any evidence you provide should be dated within the last 12 months
Evidence we can accept
- A letter from the DVLA indicating that your driving licence has been refused or revoked following an assessment.
- A letter from the DVLA accepting a surrendered licence, together with evidence of a relevant medical condition.
- A fully completed Refusal of driving licence/unable to drive due to medical reasons guidance and evidence form (Category G)
- Customers with the mobility PIP award below should also read and complete the evidence form Refusal of driving licence/unable to drive due to medical reasons guidance and evidence form (Category G), in most cases we will be able to issue for the length of your PIP award:
- 10 points for activity “Follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid.”
- 10 points for activity “Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant.”
- 12 points for activity “Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid.”
IMPORTANT - Other medical letters may not be accepted so please always use the Category G evidence form for submitting medical evidence.