Substantial walking disability (Category D)
The bus pass allows free off-peak travel on local buses throughout England for applicants with an eligible disability.
You will be eligible if
You will be eligible if your disability has substantial and long term adverse effect on ability to walk for example:
- you are unable to walk at all.
- you can only get about by swinging through crutches (long term).
- you are unable to walk more than 64 metres without severe discomfort.
- it takes an excessive amount of time to walk a short distance. For example it takes 5 minutes to walk 100 metres.
- the exertion required to walk would either
- constitute a danger to your life
- or would be likely to lead to serious deterioration in your health.
Evidence we can accept
- A current East Sussex blue badge which is valid for at least 6 months.
- Recent (less than 1 year old) PIP, with an award of eight points or more for the "Moving around” activity.
- Recent (less than 1 year old) DLA letter - must show Mobility Component at the Higher rate.
- For a veteran, proof of receiving War Pensioners Mobility Supplement, or the ‘Reasons for Decision’ letter under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS).
Other evidence we may accept
If you cannot provide any of the above proof you may ask a health care professional who is aware of your physical therapy (for example a physiotherapist or occupational therapist) to complete an evidence form Walking disability guidance and evidence form (Category D) [290.7 KB] [pdf].
Even if this form is completed it is likely we will need to refer you to an East Sussex County Council mobility assessor for a full mobility assessment.
Please do not ask a health care professional to write a letter, unless it is to support the form, they must be able to complete the evidence form in full.
Full guidance and evidence form
Walking disability guidance and evidence form (Category D) [290.7 KB] [pdf]