Apply to be a library volunteer
Volunteers are a valued and central part of East Sussex Libraries. Volunteering allows you to meet new people, learn new skills and give something back to your community.
There are lots of different volunteering roles in our local libraries:
- Rhymetime and Storytime volunteer – share the joy of reading and rhymes with babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers at our popular Rhymetime and Storytime sessions
- Homework and Activity Club volunteer – supporting primary school children and their families with learning support, as well as running fun enrichment activities. This role is available at Eastbourne, Hastings, and Uckfield Libraries.
- Home library service/Reading Friends volunteer – choosing, packing and delivering library materials to people who are unable to get to a library easily. Sharing the love of books by chatting about reading.
- Code Club volunteer mentor – helping children to learn computer coding in a library setting.
- Family history volunteer – a great opportunity for a family history expert to share their skills and knowledge with library customers.
- IT for You mentor – helping customers to learn basic IT skills to improve their access to services and employment.
- Bookends bookshop volunteer – serving customers and managing stock at the bookshop in Eastbourne Library.
- Reading Friends Group Facilitator - run informal, friendly sessions using reading (in any format) as a way of sparking conversations and forging friendships.
English Conversation Group Facilitator - English conversation groups help participants with English as an additional language to practice their English language skills in a safe environment. Facilitators lead on weekly themes for daily conversations and encourage all participants to take part.