Skills East Sussex sector task groups
Health and Social Care Task Group
The Health and Social Care Task Group had its first meeting in January 2020 with the following membership:
- Skills for Care
- East Sussex College Group
- University of Brighton
- Independent training providers
- Independent care providers
- Health Education England
- Adult Social Care, East Sussex County Council
- Representatives of the clinical commissioning groups (CCG) – Sussex Transformation Partnerships.
Priorities for 2020 to 2021
The remit of the overall task group is to join up the work being undertaken by the CCGs and other Health and Social Care groups to promote careers in the sector.
The task group will also work out how best to move forward the Careers East Sussex Careers Campaign 2020 to 2021. The task group have agreed to promote the following roles:
- Staff nurse
- Family support and care worker
- Technicians: sonographers, radiographers, occupational therapist
- Social worker.
Task group update Spring 2021
- Has been hard to work strategically when current circumstances are so demanding. Noted that some back-office staff are now expected to do direct care activity. On average during the peak of the pandemic, 40% of staff are off work due to illness or self-isolation. Resilience work is needed as many members of staff are considering leaving the care sector.
- A gradual return to face-to-face training and new delivery methods for training has begun. Staffing challenges also mean that it can be difficult to find time to release staff for training. Digital skills and extended clinical skills training is still required across the NHS.
- NHS Sussex Commissioners are looking to do more with apprenticeships. They have eight apprenticeships studying to Level 3 with East Sussex College Group. University of Brighton Level 5 Nursing Associate apprenticeship is continuing. 44 starting individuals are starting.
- The East Sussex NHS Training Hub is also developing apprenticeships.
- The Strategic Workforce group wanted to advertise East Sussex as a destination for individuals to work in health and care roles.
- The Health and Social Care Task Group will be able to assist in advising the direction and scope of the Safe and Timely Onboarding Group.
Health and Social Care Task Group meetings
The Health and Social Care Task Group meets every month. Please find below the minutes of the three latest meetings.
- Health and Social Care Task Group, 24 March 2022 (not accessible) [70.9 KB] [docx]
- Health and Social Care Task Group, 24 February 2022 (not accessible) [67.4 KB] [docx]
- Health and Social Care Task Group, 27 January 2022 (not accessible) [70.5 KB] [docx]
Please note: we know some of these files might not be suitable for users of assistive technology. If you use assistive technology such as a screen reader, please email Skills East Sussex and we will do our best to help.