Am I eligible for a Blue Badge?
If you are disabled or have a health condition that limits your mobility you can apply for a Blue Badge.
There are two types of eligibility:
Eligible without further assessment
If you meet one or more of the following you may be eligible for a Blue Badge without further assessment. We will need proof of your entitlement.
- Higher rate mobility component of the Daily Living Allowance
- Registered blind
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP) with 8 or more points in the ‘moving around’ category
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP) with 10 points for category E under the ‘planning and following journeys’ activity, because you are unable to undertake any journey because it would cause you overwhelming psychological distress
- Armed Forces Compensation scheme (tariff 1 to 8 with a permanent or substantial disability)
- War pensioners mobility supplement
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP) with 10 points for category E under the ‘planning and following journeys’ activity, because you are unable to undertake any journey because it would cause you overwhelming psychological distress or significant mental distress.
Eligible subject to further assessment
You may still be eligible for a Blue Badge if you do not qualify automatically. This is determined by an assessment.
You may qualify if:
- you drive regularly but have a severe disability that affects both arms
- you have a permanent or substantial disability that means walking is either very difficult or impossible
- you cannot walk or have considerable difficulty walking due to a permanent or substantial physical disability
You may qualify if you:
- cannot undertake a journey without there being a risk of serious harm to you or another person
- cannot undertake a journey without it causing you very considerable psychological or mental distress
- have very considerable difficulty when walking (both the physical act and experience of walking)
We may contact you to arrange an assessment once we have received your application.
Children under the age of 3
You can apply if your child has a specific medical condition which means they:
- must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around without great difficulty
- need to be kept near a vehicle at all times so that they can, if necessary, be treated for their condition in the vehicle or taken quickly to a place where they can be treated
How to apply
If you think you are eligible, apply for a Blue Badge
Read more about the Blue Badge application process
Was this page helpful?
Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.