Newhaven household waste recycling site
This site is open as follows:
April to end September:
- Monday to Sunday 8am to 5pm
October to end March:
- Monday to Saturday 8am to 4pm, Sunday 9am to 4pm
Bank Holidays: Open usual hours (closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day)
Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve: Close at 1pm
At busy times the main gates may be closed up to 45 minutes before the published closing time to clear vehicles already queuing on site.
What you can bring
- The site accepts household waste from residents own homes in East Sussex.
- Trade/business waste is not accepted.
- You do not need to book a visit in advance.
- Hardcore, soil and plasterboard are accepted at this site and will be charged for.
- Bonded asbestos is accepted at this site and will be charged for. Only 6 bags or 4 sheets are accepted per calendar month, per household. Bonded asbestos must be double wrapped in two layers of plastic. In order to monitor and enforce this monthly limit the staff will record the name, address and vehicle registration of all residents bringing asbestos to the site.
- Tyres are accepted at this site and will be charged for. Only 4 tyres are accepted per calendar month, per household.
- Any one who does not pay the charges on site will be invoiced the disposal plus administration costs via Sussex Police's Operation Crackdown vehicle tracing scheme.
- Vans are only permitted on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Van drivers must bring photo ID (for example a driving licence, valid passport or work ID) and one other form of ID such as a recent utility or Council Tax bill that contains your home address.
- Vehicle height barrier of 2 metres (6 feet, 6 inches). Barrier will only be opened for household waste brought in taller vehicles, provided they meet the other site requirements, on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays only. The only exception is for Blue badge holders with taller vehicles who will be permitted entrance on any day, provided they meet the other site requirements and are able to show their Blue badge.
- Vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of 3500kg or above are not permitted. No vehicles with Luton, flatbed or tipper bodies.
- Trailers must be no more than 1.8 metres (6 feet) in length, not including the tow bar.
- Pedestrian access via dedicated entrance for local residents arriving by foot. There is no parking outside or near the site for oversize or other vehicles. It is therefore not permitted to park outside or near the site and bring waste into the site on foot.
- Cyclists should dismount before entering the site via the pedestrian entrance.
- Large heavy bags like tonne bags or hippo bags should not be used. Staff will not be able to help residents unload them if brought to the site. Containers are available on site to allow residents to decant the material if necessary.
- Small amounts of DIY type waste will be accepted (but some are charged for). Residents should hire a skip for larger amounts.
- Small amounts of household chemicals will be accepted in sealed and clearly labelled containers.
Was this page helpful?
Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.