Volunteering roles in libraries
Digital Buddies help customers to get online and develop digital skills at home. This role is a good option if you would like to deliver digital skills training but prefer to volunteer from home and / or outside of library opening hours.
We currently loan laptops and tablets depending on the needs of the borrower. Many of our customers have missed the opportunity to learn computer skills and will appreciate a friendly, patient approach to get them started.
The support can be provided in various ways such as remote support through Microsoft Teams or Zoom, by phone or face to face support in the customers' home. This role requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills and a willingness to learn new skills.
- Getting people started on using their tablets or laptops
- Providing remote or face to face support at a mutually agreed time and frequency. Support sessions should last no longer than 45 minutes.
- Helping customers set up and learn to use email accounts.
- Helping customers learn how to access online information.
- Helping customers learn how to complete online forms.
- Helping customers develop their digital confidence.
- Helping customers use specific online resources relevant to their requirements.
- Completing a small amount of paperwork for our project partners.
Skills and experience
- Familiarity with using digital devices. (Computers, internet, email, and basic web searching for which training and support will be provided.)
- To be able to use some social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter– We will match your skills and interests to the peoples’ needs and there is no expectation that you will be an IT ‘expert’.
- Customer focus.
- An ability to communicate clearly and sensitively with vulnerable adults.
- Friendly and patient manner.
- Reliable and punctual timekeeping.
- Desire to learn.
- The minimum age for this role is 18 years.
- Travel and phone expenses will be reimbursed.
- A Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check may be required for this role. We provide this service if you do not already have one.
- Applicants who have not been vaccinated for the Coronavirus will not be allowed to operate in certain situations.
- You will have a named library contact and opportunities to meet with other library volunteers.
Prefer to work within Libraries? Have you thought about being an IT for You Mentor?