Computers and Internet in libraries
Our opening hours over the Easter weekend are as follows
- Good Friday 7 April Closed
- Saturday 8 April Open
- Easter Monday 10 April Closed
Where you can use computers
Every library has computers that you can use free of charge. These computers shut down 15 minutes before the library closes.
To use our computers please bring your library card or proof of identity. If a computer is available, you can sign in with your library card number and PIN and get up to an hour straight away. You’ll be asked to agree to our acceptable use policies.
All of our libraries offer free wifi if you want to use your own device.
There are computers in the children’s areas of libraries. A parental consent form, available from staff at the counter, must be signed before children can use them. Website content is filtered but this doesn’t always block unsuitable material.
- Children aged 8 to 15 can use the computers on their own but parents and guardians are responsible for what they do on the Internet.
- Children under 8 years old must have an adult with them when they use our computers.
Things you can do on library computers
- Free Internet and web-based email.
- Free access to subscription websites like Ancestry, Find My Past, Theory Test Pro and Encyclopaedia Britannica.
- Software for word processing, spreadsheets, creating presentations, newsletters and editing photos.
- Save files temporarily to the My Documents folder on the computer. They are automatically deleted at the end of your session to protect your privacy.
- Open or save files on USB memory sticks, CD-R and CD-RW.
- Memory card reader for digital cameras, so you can edit, email or print photos. Printing is on standard photocopy paper only.
- Each library has a scanner. You can use this to scan images or documents and convert existing documents to save/edit in MS Word.
- Microsoft on screen keyboard and screen magnifier and access to mouse settings.
- Dolphin Supernova magnifier and screen reader software.
Was this page helpful?
Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.