Help to keep warm and well

Find information about how to keep warm and well at home in East Sussex

Keep warm and well

Winter home check service

Our free winter home check service is available all year round. It includes:

  • an assessment of your home to identify how to keep warm
  • small works such as improving insulation or repairing boilers
  • emergency temporary heating
  • advice on getting help to pay for heating.

Installation of replacement boilers, central heating systems or home insulation is also possible subject to eligibility and limited availability.

This service is provided by Osborne Energy. Phone free on 0800 085 1674 to arrange a visit.

Contact us

Who can apply

For this free service you need to:

1) Own your own property or rent it privately (in East Sussex) and have the owner’s permission to do the work.


a) be on a gross income of less than £16,010 a year and be:

  • either diagnosed with a long term condition
  • or living with a diagnosed disability


b) be receiving one of the following benefits:

  • Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (and your income is £16,010 or less)
  • Working Tax Credit (and your income is £16,010 or less) – plus one of the extra conditions below
  • Universal Credit (and you earned £1,250 or less after tax in any assessment period in last 12 months) – plus one of the extra conditions below
  • Income Support – plus one of the extra conditions below
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance – plus one of the extra conditions below
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) – plus one of the extra conditions below.

Extra conditions:

For certain benefits, one of the following must also apply:

  • You get Child Tax Credit and your child’s disabled
  • You get Disabled Child Premium
  • You get Disability Premium
  • You get Pensioner Premium
  • You receive a work-related activity or support component – if you’re claiming income related ESA
  • You’re 60 or over – if you’re claiming Working Tax Credit
  • You get a limited capability for work or work-related activity element – if you’re claiming Universal Credit
  • You get Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment – if claiming Universal Credit
  • You’re responsible for a child under 16 (or under 20 if they’re in education or training)
  • Your household includes five or more family members
  • An individual in the household is living with a diagnosed long-term condition.

Other ways to get help