Direct payments


This factsheet explains what direct payments are and how you can use them.

April 2024 (FS10)

Printing in Large Print

To print this factsheet in Large Print, scroll to the bottom of the page and select the 'Print Page' link.

In your print settings, increase the Scale (%) setting before printing. This may be under 'other' or advanced print settings.

What are direct payments?

Direct payments are when the money allocated for your support is paid directly to you, so that you can pay for the support you choose to meet your needs. It is the main way to receive all or part of a personal budget, where you want to have direct control of the money available to support you.

If you qualify for support from Adult Social Care, you could choose to buy this support yourself by having the money allocated for your support paid into a direct payment account. This way you can organise and buy the care and support that you need, instead of Adult Social Care organising and providing services for you.

This gives you more choice and control over how your needs are met. You choose who will help you, and when and how they do. You can use your budget flexibly, using support when you need it, not always in the same fixed pattern.

Who can get direct payments?

You can get direct payments if you are:

  • a client of adult social care (anyone 18 or over)
  • a carer of an adult
  • a disabled child

There are one or two exceptions to this, but we will explain in more detail if necessary.

To be offered direct payments you need a social care needs assessment. This is where we look at what your needs are and whether you qualify for help from us.

If you do, we will work out the likely cost of your care and support and how much we can give you towards it.

You can choose to take some or all the money allocated to you for your support as a direct payment.

What you choose will be written in a document called a support plan. This plan shows how you have chosen to meet your eligible care and support needs and achieve the things that you want to do.

Do I have to pay towards my direct payment?

We will look at your total income and your savings (called a ‘financial assessment’) to work out the amount you need to pay towards the cost of your support. You can find out more about this in our leaflet: What you will need to pay towards the cost of your care and support.

If the financial assessment shows that you need to contribute to the cost of your care, you will need to pay this towards your direct payment straight away. You can pay this weekly or four-weekly.

It is very important to pay your contribution into your chosen direct payment account, so there is enough money for you to pay for services.

How can I use direct payments?

Direct payments must be used to meet your eligible care and support needs and the outcomes in your support plan. If at any time you want to change how you meet your needs, you can always contact your social care worker to discuss this.

Most people spend their direct payments on employing a personal assistant or paying companies to provide home care support, but there are many ways you can use them.

Do direct payments mean extra work?

Choosing direct payments gives you more control over how your needs are met and how the money for your care is spent. The only thing you need to do is create a contingency plan to make sure you still receive essential care and support in an emergency. There is a contingency plan template that your social care worker can show you.

Support with direct payments

Independent Lives offer a free service to help you with your direct payments. They can give you information and advice on:

  • using direct payments to buy services
  • being a good employer of your PA and understanding any rules in place
  • writing job descriptions, recruiting staff and doing pre-employment checks

Contact Independent Lives

Phone: 01903 219 482 (option 3)


Suitable persons

If someone is unable to express their wishes or preferences about the support they receive, their personal budget can be paid to another 'suitable person'.

This is a trusted person who will decide how the direct payments are best used. This can be especially useful for people with severe learning disabilities, head injuries or dementia.

Before we make direct payments to a named suitable person, we must be very sure that the person getting the support cannot manage the direct payments themselves. We must also be certain that direct payments are the best option, and that the suitable person will always manage them properly.

For more information about making direct payments to a suitable person, speak to your social care worker, or contact Adult Social Care.

If you change your mind

You can decide at any time to stop receiving direct payments and to start receiving support from us in a different way. You should discuss this with your care manager first.

Making a complaint

If you want to make a complaint about Adult Social Care, you might want to use an independent advocate to help you understand the complaints process and put your views across effectively.

For more information about how to make a complaint, please read our leaflet: How to make a complaint or give feedback about Adult Social Care services.

More information

See further leaflets and factsheets

Contact us to get more copies of this factsheet, or any of the other leaflets or factsheets mentioned.

Email: Health and Social Care Connect
Phone: 0345 60 80 191
Minicom : 18001 0345 60 80 191

Was this page helpful?

Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.