Leaflet: Your feedback matters


How to share your feedback or make a complaint about Adult Social Care and Health services.

May 2024 (IL03)

Printing in Large Print

To print this leaflet in Large Print, scroll to the bottom of the page and select the 'Print Page' link.

In your print settings, increase the Scale (%) setting before printing. This may be under 'other' or advanced print settings.

Sharing feedback with us

We want to provide high quality support and services in Adult Social Care and Health. It helps when you tell us about your experiences.

  • Have we done something well?
  • What could we do better?

We value your feedback about your experience of our care and support services. You can give us feedback without making a complaint. We will share your comments with the team that has supported you and use it to improve our services.

You can get in touch with the person or service who has supported you, or get in touch with the Complaints and Feedback Team to share your feedback. Sharing your experiences will not have a negative effect on any service you receive, and your information will be handled confidentially.

If you are unhappy about your support or something has gone wrong, we want to hear from you. We will look at this within our complaints process. You can find out how to complain and what to expect if you do below.

Get in touch to give feedback or make a complaint

Adult Social Care Complaints and Feedback Team
East Sussex County Council
County Hall
St Anne’s Crescent

Phone: 01273 481 242
Email:  ASC Complaints and Feedback team
Twitter: twitter@eastsussexcc
Facebook: www.facebook.com/eastsussexcc

See Make a complaint or give feedback about adult social care and health services

When things go wrong

If you are unhappy with your support or a service you have received, please get in touch with us. A good start is to contact the person or team who has been involved with you, because often things can be put right quickly.

If you have already done this or would rather speak with someone else, your concerns can be raised with the Complaints and Feedback Team.

Please get in touch within a year of the problem starting, otherwise it can be difficult to find out what went wrong and we may not be able to help.

Making a complaint

Councils with Adult Social Care responsibilities must respond to complaints by law. We will:

  • listen to your experiences and take your concerns seriously
  • work together with you in a mutually respectful way
  • make enquiries into the matters you raise
  • respond to your concerns in a fair and timely way, putting your needs at the centre
  • improve our services by learning from your experiences

Who can make a complaint?

  • Anyone who receives an Adult Social Care service under the Care Act 2014
  • Anyone who believes they have been unfairly refused a service
  • A friend, family member or representative of the person who receives a service (or believes they should receive a service)
  • An advocate can also help you – see our factsheet: Independent advocacy – someone to speak up for you.

What can you complain about?

You can complain about any part of our services, including assessments, reviews, quality of services and staff attitude.

Safeguarding concerns do not fall within the complaints process. We will tell you if the issue you raise is not covered by this process, and will direct you to the right people.

What happens when you make a complaint?

When you contact us with your concerns, we will:

  • acknowledge your complaint within three working days
  • ask you what you would like to happen to put things right
  • agree with you how we plan to respond to your complaint
  • arrange for a manager to make enquiries and provide you with a response (usually 20 working days)
  • oversee a response that will include a summary of findings and any service improvements
  • co-ordinate the process by keeping you updated and being your point of contact

What happens if you are not satisfied with the complaint response?

If you are not happy with our response or the way we have handled your concerns, you can tell us what you think will put things right. We will listen to and consider your suggestions.

If, after this, you remain dissatisfied, you can contact the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman who may investigate your complaint. They offer a free and independent service. Their contact details are:

Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman
PO Box 4771

Phone: 0300 061 0614
Website: Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman

If your comment or complaint is about local health services

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) offers confidential advice and support about care provided by East Sussex Healthcare. This service is independent and acts on your behalf to sort out problems quickly. You can contact PALS at Eastbourne District General Hospital or Conquest Hospital.

PALS Eastbourne District General Hospital

Phone: 0300 131 4784
Email: esh-tr.palse@nhs.net

PALS Conquest Hospital

Phone: 0300 131 5309
Email: esh-tr.palsh@nhs.net

Using your experience to help us improve care and support

If you would like to be involved in shaping our services, we are always looking for new members to join our People Bank. The People Bank is a database of volunteers who have an interest in our services. Membership is voluntary and there are many ways you can be involved.

Once you have joined and told us how you’d like to be involved, the People Bank team will be able to match you with opportunities when they are available. For more information:

Visit:  the People Bank

Email: Adult Social Care Consultation team

Phone: 01273 481 565

Was this page helpful?

Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.