1. Home
  2. Adult social care and health
  3. Benefits and grants
  4. Financial help if you are sick or disabled

Financial help if you are sick or disabled

Welfare benefits helpline

Phone the welfare benefits helpline for free, confidential advice on 0333 344 0681 (calls cost no more than national rate calls)


If you are disabled or have a long-term illness, you may be entitled to benefits such as:

Universal Credit has started to replace some income-related benefits in some parts of the county.

Carer’s support

If you are a carer you may be able to get help through the Carers Allowance and Carers Credit (a National Insurance credit that helps with any gaps in your National Insurance record).

Other help

There are payments and concessions such as vehicle and council tax reductions, Disabled Facilities Grant and Income Tax Disabled Premiums which can help with transport, housing or if you are on a low income.

If you have a disability, you can apply for a disabled person’s railcard.

Adults with a qualifying disability are also eligible for free bus travel with a disabled person’s bus pass.

Disability benefits advice

You can get more advice on adult disability benefits from Citizen’s Advice or the Welfare Benefits Helpline.

Was this page helpful?

Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.