Library meeting rooms and study spaces
You can hire a meeting room at 5 libraries across the county.
If you would like to book private study space for a small number of people, you may like to consider one of our study pods. Study pods are free to use by library members for 2 hours at a time.
- You can hire a library meeting room by the hour on Monday to Saturday.
- Please be aware that rooms cannot be hired during the 15 minutes before library closure.
Meetings room hire is subject to groups/organisations having their own Public Liability Insurance in place with an indemnity limit of £5million. The Council can assist by using its own policy which provides an extension to cover third party hirer’s liability for non-commercial voluntary community groups.
Meeting room hire is charged at the following hourly rates:
- Community hire £10 per hour
This rate applies to local community groups and registered charities who support one or more of the stated aims of the Library Service and do not charge attendees.
- Business hire £20 per hour
This rate is targeted at supporting new and developing small businesses. Individuals and groups with a community value who charge attendees, but for whom profit is not the prime motive are also included in this group. It also applies to company training courses.
- Commercial hire £40 per hour
This rate applies to all other sessions where admission is charged. It includes any type of selling/marketing activity.
Please note that charges may apply for any room bookings cancelled at short notice.
To book a room you need to:
- agree to our room hire terms and conditions
- have Public Liability Insurance for your group or organisation or use ESCC Hirer’s Liability Insurance (for non-commercial organisations, voluntary and community groups who do not already have existing PL insurance of their own)
- have the relevant licence if your event will include music. If live music is performed you need a Performing Rights Society (PRS) Licence, for recorded music you need both a PRS and a Public Performance Licence.
To proceed, please complete our booking enquiry form.
When we receive your booking enquiry, library staff will contact you within 5 working days to discuss availability and any facilities you need. We will either:
- confirm the room and facilities are available at the time you requested, or
- tell you that the meeting room you requested is unavailable.
Send back the booking form
After library staff have spoken to you, we will email you a Booking Agreement Form containing your booking details. We will also send you information about the venue you requested, including fire procedures.
Once you have signed and returned this form, staff will contact you to confirm your booking.
Please tell us as soon as possible if you need to cancel your room booking.
- ESCC may still make a charge if less than 14 days notice is given of a cancellation
- Cancellations with less than 7 days notice will incur a 50% charge
- Cancellations with less than 24 hours notice will incur a 100% charge
We may cancel the booking if unforeseen circumstances occur that affect the use of the building.
Was this page helpful?
Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.