Working here, pay and benefits
- We Choose East Sussex
We think East Sussex County Council is a great place to work. One of the most important things about working here is the knowledge that you’re working to help others and the real sense of achievement and purpose that brings.
While almost every role at the Council is different, there are some core principles we all work to in terms of both what we do and how we do it. These are summarised in what we call the ‘East Sussex Way’:
- We are customer driven and work with our customers to find the best solutions
- We have clear objectives and deliver great service
- We take responsibility and do what we say we will
- We work together as one council
- We innovate and find better ways of doing things
We think it’s important to trust and empower our staff to use their judgement and we try not to put bureaucracy in their way.
A forward-thinking approach to new technologies
We embrace new technology and try to harness its capabilities to improve how we deliver services:
- we use Viva Engage across all of our corporate departments to enable staff to communicate and share information
- we use Microsoft Teams so we can keep in touch by instant messaging, video conference and desktop sharing
- our senior managers host web chats where staff can ask them whatever they want
- check us out on social media.
Join an agile organisation
Where possible we encourage our staff to work in an agile way. This can mean working at one of our sites with your team, or at home when needed, but always retaining a strong team identity. We will provide you with the technology and equipment, to do your job efficiently from wherever you are. For instance, you can take part in meetings with colleagues at the other end of the county via MS Teams' voice and video, and share your screen and work on documents together.
A culture of learning and development
We support a diverse range of learning and development opportunities for our workforce. We also promote a coaching culture to encourage and embed learning at work because we recognise that some of the most impactful learning happens on the job and by reflecting on it with others.
Find out more about some of the learning experiences we offer by visiting our learning portal.
- Learn about East Sussex County Council's main career pathways
Planning for the future
Our People Strategy has been developed to help achieve the people changes needed over the next 3 to 5 years.
East Sussex County Council People Strategy [409.5 KB] [pdf]