What types of travel assistance do we offer?

You could get:

  • a personal travel budget (PTB) to fund your own travel 
  • independent travel training to help your child travel independently 
  • a bus pass for public transport 
  • a shared minibus or taxi 

We offer adapted vehicles for wheelchair users—and passenger assistants where needed. 

Sometimes, we need parents and carers to help take the child or young person to a pick-up point. Also, when supporting nursery aged or over 16s, depending on your circumstances, we may only offer travel for part of the week. 

See if you qualify and apply for travel assistance

How do you arrange travel? 

  • We confirm the time and place we will collect your child 
  • We usually collect from your child’s home to their school 
  • We may ask to pick up or collect from another location 
  • You must support your child getting into and out of the vehicle  
  • If no one collects your child, we’ll take them to a safe place where you can collect them 

If your child isn’t going to school, let the transport company know. We’ll make sure you have their contact details. 

Can you get travel assistance to any school? 

Your child or young person must go to the nearest suitable maintained school to their home.  

That means the closest school that can meet their needs and is named in their EHC plan.  

If you choose a school that’s further away, we may not be able to offer support. 

Can you get travel assistance to residential schools? 

If your child or young person goes to a residential school, and it is named in their EHC plan, you can apply for travel assistance.  

This matches their boarding schedule. Usually weekly or every half term.  

We can’t provide transport on other days. 

Can you get SEND transport without an EHC plan? 

Without an EHC plan, you can’t get our SEND transport offer. But you may still be able to get our mainstream offer. 

Can you get travel assistance for respite? 

If it’s during term time, you can apply for travel assistance to respite care. 

Can you get travel assistance outside of school hours? 

Usually, you’ll only get transport at the beginning and end of the school day. If you share transport, times may be earlier or later.  

We can’t offer transport for emergencies or anything outside travel to and from the school or college. This includes: 

What if your child is late? 

Your child must be ready on time as the vehicle can’t wait more than five minutes. 

What if you need to change the travel arrangements? 

You must make a new application if your child: 

  • moves house 
  • changes school or college 

Your child or young person with SEND could get support with independent travel training if: 

  • they have an education, health and care (EHC) plan 
  • they’re getting travel assistance from us 

What is independent travel training? 

Independent travel training helps young learners with SEND to: 

  • travel on their own to schools and colleges or travel safely with a responsible adult where appropriate 
  • use different types of public transport, like buses and trains, with confidence 
  • We also have a safer walking training programme which may be appropriate for younger children. 

We can offer the following training options:  

  • One to one training either walking or using public transport to allow the young person to complete the journey independently.   
  • Group family training in the home to support families/carers to deliver the training themselves, with the help and guidance of the trainer leading to independence through supported family tuition. 
  • Accompanied walking training following on from the group family training to support a responsible adult to walk safely with a child with SEND to school. 
  • Training in a school or college either one to one or in a group. This can prepare children or young people for one of our other courses.   

What happens during the practical training? 

First, our trainer works with you and your young person to make a training programme. 

Our trainers first assess the route, meet with the family and deliver the training designed to the needs of the young person.   

The training is designed to allow the student to gain the knowledge to access their school or college safely independently.  As the course progresses and the young person gains confidence the trainer will move away until the student can complete the journey independently observed by the trainer. 

  •  This develops their skills to: 
  • find their way 
  • use timetables and travel on public transport 
  • know what to do if something unexpected arises 

By the end, they should be able to travel independently without help from the trainer. 

How long does the training last? 

As our courses are bespoke, the course length is always based around the student's needs. Progress is discussed with the family and the course will move through stages as the student achieves targets and becomes confident. They will move to the final stage when ready where the trainer will observe the student complete the journey independently. 

How to apply for independent travel training

National Star College provides our travel training. Complete the referral form to apply.

Travel training

If you need help applying, contact the Travel Training Team Coordinator. 

Email: Debbie Baldwin

Phone: 0781 500 6582

What is a personal travel budget (PTB)?

A personal travel budget could help you to arrange your child or young person’s travel. We may offer you a PTB if we can’t offer you other travel assistance. 

  • your child or young person must be eligible for the Council’s travel assistance to school or college  
  • there must be no other suitable transport we can arrange, like taxis or a minibus 
  • you’ll be responsible for arranging all your child or young person’s school or college journeys 

What can you use it for? 

You can use it to help pay for the cost of transporting your child or young person to school or college. 

You don’t need to show us how you spend it. We will check your child or young person’s attendance with their school or college regularly. But if your child or young person’s attendance drops below 95%, we will ask for some of the money back. 

How much can you get 

We work out the amount you could get based on the length of your journey and number of days travelled.   

We pay the funds into your bank account – it won’t affect any benefits you may have 

Apply for a personal travel budget

  • apply for travel assistance for your child or young person with SEND. You can indicate on the application form if you would like to apply for a PTB. 
  • if your application is approved, but we can’t offer our usual travel support such as a minibus, we may offer you a PTB. 

See if you qualify for travel assistance