Find a place to live

Moving out of home is a big step. It is expensive and may take you a while to find somewhere.


If you rent a room, flat, or house, you will pay rent to a private landlord or estate agent. This is usually a month in advance. You can find details of properties to rent at:

  • Local estate agents
  • Local newspapers

Also on the following websites:

Can I get financial support to cover my rent?

If you have been living in supported housing and claiming housing benefit previously, you can claim benefits to cover the rent of a room in a shared house or flat until you are 35.

You cannot claim housing benefit to cover the cost of a one bedroom rented flat unless:

    • you are a care leaver age up to 25 years old
    • you are living as a couple
    • you are severely disabled
    • you are responsible for a child

If you have not claimed housing benefit previously, you can make a claim for Universal Credit. This can include a housing payment to help with housing costs.

Use the following links to check your eligibility for Universal Credit, or to access support with making a claim:

The amount of housing benefit or assistance with housing costs you are entitled to is different in each local authority area. It is determined by Local Housing Allowance rates. You can use the link to find out how much Housing Benefit or assistance with housing costs you will get in your area: 

Social rented or Local Authority housing

Social housing, often referred to as ‘council’ housing, is housing that is affordable to people on low incomes. It is provided by councils and not-for-profit organisations such as housing associations.

The waiting time for social housing varies across East Sussex. It will also depend on your eligibility and situation (you will be put in band A, B, C or D according to your housing need) and the length of time you have been registered. Realistically, you could wait a long time for social housing. It is in high demand. For example, the average waiting time for someone in Band C waiting for a one-bedroom flat in Hastings is 16 months. For accurate waiting times and to register for social housing:

Buying a flat or house

If you are thinking about buying a property, you will need to discuss your options and how you will meet the repayments on any mortgage with your bank, financial adviser or estate agent.

Was this page helpful?

Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.