The need for the Newhaven Port Access Road
What is the current access into the Port?
At present access to the Port is along the residential roads of:
- Railway Road
- Beach Road
They are quite unsuitable for accessing the Port. Development within the East Quay area of the Port is constrained by the current poor access to the site. The impacts from the unsuitable traffic along Railway and Beach Roads adversely affects the viability of developments. This particularly impacts residential developments in this part of the town.
Why do we need a new road?
The Newhaven Port Access Road is a key priority for the Council’s plans for the economic regeneration of Newhaven. Along with the investment in the town by:
- The Environment Agency in flood defences
- 2 local enterprise partnerships (LEP): Coast to Capital (C2C LEP) and South East (SE LEP)
These will help the viability of commercial and housing development sites in the Newhaven area.
Various economic studies and traffic modelling has identified that the current poor access into the Port via Railway Road and Beach Road is a constraint to development. The Port Access Road will provide a new direct access into the East Quay area of Newhaven Port. This will alleviate the current traffic and amenity issues generated (particularly HGV’s) on Railway Road and Beach Road by the existing Port operations. It will enable the development that is identified within the:
- Lewes District Local Plan
- the Port’s masterplan
- the LEPs' strategic economic plans
- as part of the Newhaven Enterprise Zone
What are the benefits?
In summary, the influence of Newhaven Port Access Road on the delivery of the EZ sites combines to deliver:
- Provide much improved connectivity for East Quay
- Unlock capacity for 9,750sqm of new business space, linked to the Port
- Enhancement of the development potential of the Bevan Funnell and Eastside South sites by removing Port-related HGV traffic from local access roads. This improves attractiveness for business investment on these sites
- On the other EZ sites through wider connectivity improvements
- Enhanced management of HGV movements across the town and
- A step-change in the perception of Newhaven as an investment location
The Port site is owned by Newhaven Port and Properties. However, many different businesses operate from the site. Others will be attracted to do so with the new road in place. Plus, with less industrial traffic the proposed residential developments along Railway and Beach Roads will become more viable.
The road does not only benefit one party, but many different people and businesses. It will act as a catalyst for regeneration, and for the creation of new jobs in the town. These will bring wider benefits for people in Newhaven and the surrounding areas.