Applying for an older person's bus pass

3. What do I need to apply?

You will need the provide the following to apply:

  • proof of your age
  • proof of your address
  • a photograph of you.

When applying by post please send photocopies only, ensuring that the date of birth and address are printed, not hand written and can be clearly read. East Sussex County Council cannot accept any responsibility for items that are mislaid in the post. No documentation will be returned.

See below for a full list of acceptable documents. 

Proof of your age (one needed)

  • birth certificate (and marriage certificate if applicable)
  • driving licence (photocard only)
  • passport
  • State pension letter

Proof of your address in East Sussex (one needed)

  • a valid current driving licence (photocard only)
  • a letter from Department of Work and Pensions (no more than 3 months old)
  • a recent bank or credit card statement (no more than 3 months old)
  • your current council tax bill
  • a recent utility bill (no more than 3 months old)

Important - proof of age and address must be separate documents, for example a driving licence cannot be used for both.

If your main home is not in East Sussex, you should apply for a bus pass to the local authority where you usually live.


You will need one passport style/sized colour photograph of your head and shoulders with a single coloured background.

Head wear, unless specified for religious or medical purposes, and tinted glasses are not to be worn.

Was this page helpful?

Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.