1. Home
  2. Births, deaths, marriages and citizenship
  3. Marriage venue licensing
  4. Licensing your venue for civil marriages and civil partnerships

Licensing your venue for civil marriages and civil partnerships

6. Apply to license a venue

For your licence to be considered by East Sussex Registration, your application must include:

  1. Confirmation that no planning permission is necessary for the venue to hold marriage or civil partnership ceremonies on the premises.
  2. A copy of the plan of the premises, clearly showing the room(s) and outdoor areas to be used for ceremonies and pre-ceremony interviews.
  3. A copy of the Public Liability insurance.
  4. A current fire risk assessment.  Also see Event safety - Venue and site design (hse.gov.uk) for up-to-date health and safety guidance

How To Become A Licensed Venue For Ceremonies Flowchart 

Apply to become a licensed venue for marriages and civil partnerships [105.3 KB] [docx]

When your application form and supporting documents are ready to send, please send them by email to venuelicensing@eastsussex.gov.uk and to arrange BACS payment of the fee.

Once you have your licence, we will work with you to help make your approved venue successful.

Was this page helpful?

Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.