Same-sex female parents

Married or civil partner parents

Either parent can register the birth on their own if both of these statements are true:

  • the mother has a child by donor insemination or fertility treatment
  • she was married or in a civil partnership at the time of the treatment

Unmarried, non-civil partner parents

When a mother is not married or in a civil partnership, her partner can be registered as the child’s second parent if both women:

  • are treated together in the UK by a licensed clinic
  • have made a ‘parenthood agreement’

For both parents’ details to be recorded on the birth certificate, they must both attend  the appointment, and sign the register. 

Registration services logo

Was this page helpful?

Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.