Child Benefit

You should make a claim for Child Benefit ( after registering the birth.

In addition to monthly payments, Child Benefit can help protect your state pension (by providing National Insurance credits for periods away from work) and ensures that each child automatically receives their National Insurance Number at age 16. 

  • For your first child, you must complete the Child Benefit claim form ( This should be sent to the Child Benefit office.
  • If you don’t have access to a printer, you can call 0300 200 3100 to request a form in the post.
  • The form also contains information for the small minority of families who may be eligible for the High-Income Child Benefit Charge (
  • If you already have a Child Benefit claim, you can add further children by calling HMRC on the number above.
Registration services logo

Was this page helpful?

Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.