If a baby is born without sign of life after the 24th week of pregnancy, it should be registered as stillborn.
- You can do this at a register office in the district where the stillbirth happened.
- Registering gives you the chance to officially name your baby.
- A medical certificate of stillbirth will be issued by the midwife or doctor, and sent directly to the registrar. If no midwife or doctor was present at the time of the stillbirth, you will need to contact your GP.
- You should register within three months.
- Call 0345 60 80 198 for an appointment at one of our Register Offices.
Guide to registering a stillbirth (gov.uk)
Was this page helpful?
Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.