Change of name deed

In the UK, anyone over 18 can change their name.

Government services, banks and other organisations, will require a change of name deed as evidence of your new name.

East Sussex Registration can create a change of name deed with you.

  • A change of name deed can be used to prove you have changed your name when presented with documents showing your previous name.
  • You can change your forename, surname or both, but any names chosen must not be offensive, vulgar or blasphemous.
  • You cannot include titles such as "Sir", "Lord", "Lady", "Duke" or "Duchess" and cannot contain symbols or numbers.
  • A foreign national living in the UK can use this service, but must check with their own national authorities to ensure that they will accept the change. This also applies to British nationals living abroad.
  • East Sussex Registration will not issue a change of name deed for a person under the age of 18.

Some documents such as your Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Decree Absolute or educational certificates cannot be changed using your Change of Name Deed, as these are a record of fact, correct at the time of issue.

Registration services logo