Travel assistance for those aged 5 to 16 with SEND

  1. Who gets travel assistance?
  2. How to apply

2. What support is available?

We will provide the most suitable travel assistance for the child. If the application is approved, this will be one of the following things:

  • Personal travel budget (PTB)
  • Independent travel training
  • Bus pass
  • Minibus or taxi: We normally provide shared vehicles. This could be a taxi or minibus depending on the number of children being transported. Occasionally we provide a separate taxi for those with complex needs or if there is no alternative

Children will usually only be transported at published school start and finish times. They may be expected to arrive earlier or leave later from school if sharing transport with other children where it is safe to do so. An offer of travel assistance may be part-week. We may ask for pickup and collection from another location or for parents or carers to assist with parts of a journey.

Travel assistance to respite on term time days can be requested. The County Council will consider these requests using the same criteria as for other travel assistance.

We will also consider applications for travel assistance to residential schools. In these cases, support will usually only be provided at the start and end of each half-term or each week depending on the boarding arrangements. We don’t provide transport at other times or for parental visits for meetings.

Further information on the assistance that we offer can be found in the information for those with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND):

Related content

Was this page helpful?

Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.