Travel assistance for those aged 16 to 19 with SEND

3. What support is available?

We will provide the most suitable travel assistance for the student. If the application is approved, this will be one of the following:

  • Personal travel budget (PTB)

  • Independent travel training

  • Minibus or taxi: we normally provide shared vehicles. This could be a taxi or minibus depending on the number of people being transported. Occasionally we provide a separate taxi for those with complex needs or if there is no alternative

Students will usually only be transported at published school or college start and finish times. They may be expected to arrive earlier or leave later from school or college to enable sharing with other students where it is safe to do so. An offer of travel assistance may be part-week. We may also ask for pickup and collection from another location, or for parents or carers to assist with parts of a journey.

Travel assistance to respite on term time days can be requested. The County Council will consider these requests using the same criteria as for other travel assistance.

We will also consider applications for travel assistance to residential colleges. In these cases, support will usually only be provided at the start and end of each half-term or each week depending on the boarding arrangements. We don’t provide transport at other times or for parental visits for meetings.

Further information for, special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) on the assistance that we offer can be found in the information for those with:

Related content

Was this page helpful?

Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.