Feedback and complaints about Children's Services

Can I complain?

You must have:

  • parental responsibility for the child involved
  • no ongoing proceedings relating to the complaint
  • waited no longer than 12 months to complain
  • completed any relevant appeals process

How do I complain?

  1. Talk to the person you’ve been dealing with or their manager. Explain what went wrong and how they can fix it, be clear about what you want and how the team can help you.
  2. Once you have tried the above, contact the Children’s Services Customer Relations Team if things still aren’t right.
  3. If we can’t sort things out straight away, we’ll aim to give you a full response within 10 working days. If it takes longer, we’ll tell you and explain why.
  4. If you’re not happy with the response, let your complaints officer know. They’ll tell you what you can do next for social care complaints or confirm you’ve reached the end of the complaints process.
  5. If you’re still not satisfied, you can contact the Local Government & Social Care Ombudsman.

Social care complaints

This type of complaint falls into a statutory complaints procedure which has two additional stages. If you’re still unhappy after receiving your initial response, speak to your complaints officer who can guide you through this process.

Complain about a school, academy or college

Schools, academies and colleges deal with complaints directly. These are not the responsibility of the council. Contact the school, academy or college to complain.

If your complaint is about a school or academy’s headteacher, write to the Governing Body.

If you’re still unhappy, you can write to:

  • the Secretary of State for Education about a maintained school or;
  • the Education Funding Agency about an Academy or;
  • the college/learning provider’s funding agency

Complain about a school –


Use our online form to tell us what we’ve done well. We’ll share this with the person concerned and their manager.

Annual complaints report

Download our latest Children’s Services Annual Complaints Report.