1. Home
  2. Children and families
  3. Professional resources including safeguarding
  4. Contacting the Single Point of Advice (SPoA)

Contacting the Single Point of Advice (SPoA)

This page is for professionals. If you're a member of the public, visit:
Report a concern about a child or a teenager | East Sussex County Council

Before you contact the Single Point of Advice (SPoA)

Discuss your concerns about a young person with the safeguarding lead in your organisation. Assess the level of need by reading and using the Continuum of Need

The SPoA advises:

  • If you have concerns or enquiries relating to a child/ren who are already open to a Social Worker, please contact the Social Worker directly. If you are unsure who their worker is, you can find details by accessing SingleView. Please do not contact SPOA regarding families who already have a Social Worker, unless you are making a CAMHS referral.

    If you have immediate safeguarding concerns relating to a child that does not already have a Social Worker and is at risk of harm, or if a child has sustained an injury, please call SPoA on 01323 464222.

  • practitioners with concerns reaching Level 3 or 4 (targeted and child protection services)
  • when a practitioner and safeguarding lead manager assess that the child is at immediate risk of significant harm. Phone SPoA immediately and say your concern is about immediate risk
  • when the safeguarding lead is not available
  • practitioners with concerns about a child with emotional, wellbeing or mental health issues. SPoA is now the contact point for referrals to Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)

What SPoA will ask you

  • have you checked SingleView to see if an East Sussex County Council service is already supporting the child? If so, have you spoken to that service?
  • who else you have spoken to?
  • details of child and family
  • a summary of your concerns
  • have you referred to the Continuum of Need?
  • Do you need to report a child protection concern? (forms below)

Reporting a child protection concern using a form

You can report a child protection on the Children's Portal to report your concerns to SPOA.

If a child is at risk of immediate harm, or has sustained an injury, please call SPOA directly on 01323 464 222 before completing your referral.

Contacting the SPoA

Telephone: 01323 464 222 Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm and Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm.

Out of hours, with serious concerns that cannot wait until the next working day, contact our Emergency Duty Service.

Telephone: 01273 335 906 or 01273 335 905 Monday to Thursday 5pm to 8.30am and Fridays, weekends and bank holidays after 4.30pm to 8.30am
Email: Single Point of Advice team

Do not use GCSx email – it is no longer in use.

The Council doesn’t normally offer advice about Level 1 and 2 needs – instead see Organisations that help families

SingleView access

SingleView gives partners an overview of Children’s Services involvements, case status and relationships.

For SingleView information and applications see SingleView.