Support for young carers

Support for young carers

East Sussex Young Carers

Young carers (under 18) look after someone at home who can’t look after themselves. This may be due to a disability, mental or physical health condition, or drug or alcohol issues.

East Sussex Young Carers (ESYC) support young carers aged 5 to 18.

Siblings of disabled children

The Sibling Service (Sibs) supports children aged 6 to 17 who have a brother or sister with a disability.

Sibs arrange activity days and social events and help to build local support groups. For news and activities join the Sibs mailing list.

There may be a charge for some activities.

The service is for brothers and sisters of disabled children who do not:

  • have their own moderate to severe Special Educational Needs (SEN), or
  • attend Social, Emotional and Mental Health school or unit (SEMH).

If you have other questions, contact SIBs team.

Funding help for young carers

Young carer’s personal budget

You can apply for funding if you are under 18 and the person you care for is an adult.

This is a one-off sum of money towards the cost of something specific that will support you.
This could be:

  • educational resources
  • leisure/respite activities
  • something to keep you healthy and active

Get in touch with East Sussex Young Carers for more information and a needs assessment.

Whole Family Budget

Limited funding is available from the Whole Family Budget and provides help to:

  • children and young people (under 18) who provide care for a member of their family network
  • individuals with caring responsibilities
  • adults who have care and support needs

Contact the Whole Family Budget team to see if you qualify for support and how to apply.

Carer's card

You can apply for a Carers Card if you care for someone who lives in East Sussex.

The East Sussex Carers Card is a discount card that gives carers savings at businesses across East Sussex.

It also identifies you as a carer, and that someone depends on you in an emergency.

Carers age 16 and 17

If you are 16 or over and regularly care for someone who could not cope without your help, see support for carers

It tells you how you can ask for a carer's assessment and see if you qualify for a carer’s personal budget