Report an incident or issue to Trading Standards

East Sussex Trading Standards relies on information received from residents, businesses and partner agencies to identify illegal trading activity and victims of crime. We need to know who is engaging in such activity and also who is being targeted.

Report an incident or issue

What should I report?

  • Rogue traders misleading customers into paying for unnecessary, overpriced and unsatisfactory work often as a result of cold calling (for example by telephone, door knocking or leafletting)
  • Goods and services offered through cold-calling may include roofing, insulation, driveway work, gardening, Will writing, funeral planning, fresh fish, mobility aids or energy saving devices
  • The sale of illegal tobacco or alcohol (for example counterfeit/ smuggled/ non-duty paid)
  • The sale of unsafe goods (for example unsafe electrical items, children’s toys or cosmetics)
  • The sale of counterfeit/ fake goods
  • The sale of illegally imported pets (popular breeds include French Bulldogs and Pugs)
  • Animal Welfare complaints relating to farm animals
  • Food misdescriptions (for example ‘local’, ‘homemade’, ‘organic’, ‘free-range’ when it is not)
  • Food fraud (for example cheap white fish being sold as cod)
  • Underage sales (sales of alcohol, tobacco, knives, solvents and fireworks to children)
  • Scam mail or phone calls targeting residents, for example claiming prize draw or lottery ‘wins’

Advice about goods or services you have bought

Please contact the fully trained advisers at the Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 03454 040506, or by using their online reporting form. They will also pass the details you provide to Trading Standards for information.

Reporting illegal money lending

For Illegal money lending activity (‘loan sharking’), please call the National Illegal Money Lending team on 0300 555 2222 or use their online reporting form.