How to complain about a councillor

Standards of behaviour for councillors

All county councillors must comply with our Code of Conduct, which is available as part of our constitution (see Part 5).

This sets out the rules about how they should behave towards the public, and requires them to disclose any personal interests.

Who deals with complaints

Complaints about councillors are dealt with by our Standards Committee.

If you make a complaint to the Standards Committee, it must be about why you think a member has not followed the Code of Conduct. The committee cannot deal with complaints about things that are not covered by the Code of Conduct.

For instance, complaints about County Council services should be made through our standard processes:

The complaints procedure

To make a complaint about a councillor, please complete the form below. The form can be sent electronically or through the post.

The form includes contact details for how to return it, along with notes about data protection, the ways that your complaint might be dealt with, and who will know that you have complained.

Complaints must be made in writing, but we can help if you have any problems with this.

The Standards Committee deals with complaints in accordance with procedures and guidance put in place by the committee, as required by the law.


If you have any questions about the complaints process, please do not hesitate to send an email to the Standards Team or contact:

Philip Baker, Assistant Chief Executive
Phone: 01273 481564

Complaint form

To make a complaint, download a form below.

Councillor complaint form [130.5 KB] [doc]

Standards Committee decision notices

Please click on link below to see decision notices:

Standards Decision Notices