Licence for fireworks sales

In addition to the advice below we have an online training course entitled ‘Storing and Selling Fireworks Safely and Legally‘. This short course outlines some of the things you need to know about storing and selling fireworks, including the hazards you need to be aware of. The course cost is £15 + VAT. This and a range of other subjects (including ‘Prevention of Underage Sales’) are available from our Business Support & Advice Partnership (BAASP) website.

You must apply for a licence if you want to sell fireworks throughout the year, outside the restricted sales periods below.

A storage licence must be in place, or applied for, before a sales licence can be granted. Apply for a storage licence

Fireworks are generally only sold to the public during the following periods:

  • 15 October to 10 November.
  • 26 December to 31 December.
  • On the first day of the Chinese New Year and the three days immediately before it.
  • On the day of Diwali and the three days immediately before it.

If you wish to sell fireworks at any other time, you must apply for a licence from Trading Standards. We recommend you allow a minimum of eight weeks for your application to be processed. The licence period runs for a year from the date of issue and the annual fee is £500. 

Application form

Before you apply, read our guidance on Storing explosives and selling fireworks.

Was this page helpful?

Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.