1. Home
  2. Adult social care and health
  3. Disability
  4. Sensory impairment assessment

Sensory impairment assessment

If you have care and support needs because of a visual, hearing or sensory impairment, we can help you.

Our sensory impairment team will assess your needs. We can:

  • offer rehabilitation support, including daily living skills and use of digital technology, orientation and mobility training
  • work with you to develop a care and support plan to help you achieve the changes you want to make in your life
  • supply equipment to help you in your daily life
  • provide information and advice

You must first have been assessed by your GP and diagnosed with a sensory impairment.

How to apply

Contact us or start your assessment online:

Types of sensory impairment

If you are having problems with your vision or hearing, the first step is to visit your GP.

Hearing loss

You may have hearing loss if:

  • you need to turn the volume up on your TV to hear it
  • you find it difficult to follow what people are saying
  • you find it difficult to hear people on the phone
  • other people have noticed you are raising your voice

If you think you have hearing loss, make an appointment to see your GP. They can refer you for further assessment.

For more information on causes of hearing loss, visit Hearing loss | NHS

Blindness and sight loss

There are many conditions that can cause loss of vision. Common causes are glaucoma, cataracts, diabetes and age-related macular degeneration.

Make sure you have a regular eye test. Sight problems can often be treated if they are diagnosed early.

For more information, visit: Blindness and vision loss | NHS

Dual sensory loss

Dual sensory loss is when you have a loss of both hearing and vision. It causes major difficulties with getting around, communication and accessing information. Deafblindness can develop over time (acquired) or can be apparent from birth (congenital).

Certificate of Visual Impairment (CVI)

If you are certified by the eye clinic as visually or severely visually impaired, you will be referred to East Sussex Vision Care. They will offer to register you on our CVI register.

Registering isn't compulsory, but it can entitle you to a reduction in the TV licence fee, reduced fees on public transport and parking concessions.