Tell Us Once

After registering the death, you can access Tell Us Once, a free Government service.

This allows you to notify local and central government about a death, in one simple step.

Agencies that can be notified through the scheme include those responsible for,

  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Pension Credits
  • Council tax
  • Housing benefit
  • Other state benefits
  • The electoral register
  • Disabled blue badges
  • Bus passes
  • Driving licences

The Registrar will give you a unique reference number. This will enable you to access Tell Us Once (

To use Tell Us Once, you should have the deceased’s;

  • Date of birth
  • Address
  • National Insurance number
  • Driving licence number (if applicable)
  • Vehicle registration number (if applicable)
  • Passport number (if applicable)

You will also need:

  • Details of any benefits or entitlements they were receiving, for example:

    • State Pension

    • Universal Credit

  • Details of any local council services they were

    receiving, for example:

    • Adult Social Services

    • Blue Badge

    • Bus Pass

  • Name and address of the next of kin
  • Name and address of any surviving spouse or civil partner
  • Contact details of the ‘executor’ or ‘administrator’ (if applicable)
  • Details of any public sector or armed forces pension schemes they were getting or paying into

Before you give their details, you will need permission from:

  • The next of kin
  • The executor or administrator (if applicable)
  • Anyone who was claiming benefits or entitlements jointly with the person who died

Agencies informed by Tell Us Once may contact the bereaved family as necessary.

Tell Us Once is not a claim to benefit, please contact Benefits ( or the relevant department for advice.

Tell Us Once does not notify any commercial organisations of the death.

Tell Us Once cannot arrange for redirection of post.

Was this page helpful?

Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.