Correcting a birth or death registration

If you have discovered an error in a birth or death record, it may be possible to arrange for the entry to be corrected.

Who can apply for a correction?

Birth registration

The parents listed on the certificate should apply. If the parents are not available, email for advice.

Death registration

The person named as the Informant on the certificate should apply. If this person is not available, email for advice.

Provide evidence that there is an error

You need to show that the information in the register is wrong. You will have to produce documents, valid or dated around the time of the birth or death, that clearly show what the correct information should have been.

If you are applying to change the named parent on a birth certificate, you may need to provide DNA evidence.

How to apply for a correction

You should email explaining the error you have found.

You may be asked to complete an application form and pay the applicable statutory fee.

What the correction will look like

The original information on the entry will not change but the corrected information will be written in the margin of the entry indicating what the information should have been and the date that it was changed.

You may need to witness and sign the correction.

Replacement certificates

You should surrender any original certificates to the registrar when the correction is made.

The correction application fee does not include replacement certificates.

New certificates, showing the updated registration are charged at the standard statutory fees.

Certificates issued after the correction will show the original information and  the marginal note detailing the correction to the entry.

Registration services logo

Was this page helpful?

Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.