Fines and charges
It’s free to join, borrow books and use our computers. We only charge for:
- reading group and inter-library loan reservations
- hiring audiobooks, DVDs, playsets, music scores and music CDs
- fines for overdue items
- costs for lost or damaged items
- you will also have to pay a small charge for photocopying and printing.
Hire charges are for the full loan period, and we are unable to refund part payment for items returned before the due date.
All prices include VAT (if applicable) but may be subject to variation should VAT rules and rates change. Exemptions apply in some cases.
You can pay charges in the following ways:
- in cash at your local library
- by cheque at your local library, made payable to ‘East Sussex County Council’
- by credit card in person at libraries in Bexhill, Crowborough, Eastbourne, Hailsham, Hastings, Lewes, Rye, Seaford and Uckfield
- by credit card over the phone on 0345 60 80 196 from Monday to Saturday, 10am to 4.30pm. You will need your debit or credit card details and your membership number from your library card.
There are no overdue charges for ebooks and e-audiobooks – they simply stop working after 3 weeks.
Overdue DVDs, videos and CDs will incur an additional weekly hire charge.
Reservation charges are not refundable.
There are some membership categories that are exempt from reservation fees. These membership categories are based on an individual’s circumstances, specific information will be provided upon joining.
A3 printing and photocopying is not available in all libraries.
* payable on collection