Courses and qualifications in Libraries
How do our courses work?
We offer online courses that you study – in Eastbourne or Hastings Library Learning Centres or at home – with support and guidance from qualified tutors.
They are for people of all levels, from beginners who have never touched a computer to experienced computer users who want to gain a qualification. We assess your needs and select a course that suits you best.
Where to sign up
To arrange to meet with a tutor and discuss your learning needs send us a message online, phone or visit our centres based at the libraries below:
- Email – email@example.com
- Eastbourne Library : 01323 463903
- Hastings Library : 01424 724680
- You and your tutor will set out a learning plan and target dates, and decide how much support you will need to achieve your goals.
You can then work on your course at either Eastbourne or Hastings Libraries or at home.
To get the best from the course you will need to meet with your tutor regularly, and attend a learning centre for any assessments.
- Maths and English courses are free to anyone 19 and over who does not already have a grade A-C at GCSE.
- The IT courses are free to anyone 19 and over who is actively seeking work or needs to remove barriers to employment.
IT Courses are free if:
- you are on benefits and seeking work, removing barriers to employment or needing to retrain to find a new career.
- you earn less that £17,004 a year and are seeking alternative employment.
If you do not meet any of the above:
Level 1 International Computer Driving License (ICDL) costs £155
Level 2 International Computer Driving License (ICDL) costs £199
If you want to purchase an online course in the following, without taking an examination but with tutor support, please call the centre. Course modules start at £55:
- Word Processing
- Excel Spreadsheets
- PowerPoint presentations
- Internet and email use
If you are not able to commit to formal study or would like to build your confidence first, IT for You could be the answer.