Responsibilities on Rights of Way
- Surface repairs - to ensure paths are in a suitable condition for path users. Please note there is a waiting list for surface repairs. Where a right of way also has vehicle access, landowners have the same responsibility.
- Surface vegetation – to ensure paths are accessible. We carry out clearance throughout the county during the summer, covering 50-100 miles of paths.
- Bridges – we maintain most bridges on rights of way, including timber boards over ditches and larger bridges over streams. If a bridge is also required by a landowner for private vehicular access we may share the costs with them.
- Steps - to provide easier access. We maintain them to ensure they are safe to use.
- Signposting - at the roadside and path junctions. We also install discs where needed.
Was this page helpful?
Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.