Ordinary watercourse consent
You may need consent from us, if you intend to carry out work which could affect the flow of water within a watercourse which is not a main river and is not looked after by an internal drainage board. Even if you have planning permission or other consents you may still require Ordinary Watercourse Consent.
Please contact us before you apply to find out whether you need consent or not. If we have advised you that you do need to apply for consent, please read the guidance notes carefully and complete the application form below:
- Guidance on applying for Ordinary Watercourse Consent [336.3 KB] [pdf]
- Application form – Ordinary Watercourse Consent [171.9 KB] [pdf]
Please be advised:
- you can now pay your application fee of £50 by using a debit or credit card by calling 01273 481 421. Lines open Monday to Thursday 9am to 5pm and Friday 9am to 4:30pm.
- the application process can up to 60 days, so please allow sufficient time in your construction timetable
- consent cannot be given retrospectively and you will be required to remove any works constructed before consent is granted whether it is compliant or not
Please read the pollution prevention guidelines (PPG5) - GOV.UK to ensure that your works in or near an ordinary watercourse protect the environment and meet the legal requirements.
Email us at Flood Risk Management Team, before you apply, describing the location and brief description of the proposed works. A member of the team will get back to you as soon as possible to advise whether you need to apply for consent or not.
Was this page helpful?
Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.