Council housing and exchanges

To find out what council housing is available and if you qualify, contact your local district or borough council:

Council housing allocation schemes

Local district and borough councils allocate housing and give priority to those in need.

The local councils will:

  • provide a housing application form
  • assess if you are eligible for council housing
  • prioritise those in need
  • advise you what priority you have for housing.

Exchanging your council property

Whether or not you can do this will depend on your local district or borough council:

'Right to buy' scheme

It allows secure council tenants to buy their home at a reduced price or market value, depending how long they have been a tenant.

For more information about the Right to Buy scheme contact the council for your area, or visit their website: