Using personal assistants


This factsheet explains how to check the employment status of your personal assistant (PA).

June 2024 (FS29)

Printing in Large Print

To print this factsheet in Large Print, scroll to the bottom of the page and select the 'Print Page' link.

In your print settings, increase the Scale (%) setting before printing. This may be under 'other' or advanced print settings.

What is an employment status?

Employment status is the legal status and classification of someone in employment. They are either:

  • employed by you or by someone on your behalf
  • self-employed

If you are using or considering using a personal assistant (PA), you must check that they are working for you under the correct employment status.

Who decides your personal assistant's employment status?

The employment status of a personal assistant is not a matter of choice. The law says it is not possible for you or the PA to choose if an arrangement is employment or self-employment. It also says it is the arrangement between the worker and the employer which sets if the work is done on an employed or self-employed basis.

If you are using a self-employed PA, speak to them about their employment status.

You should read the employing a carer information on the Low Incomes Tax Reform Group website. From there you can also download a copy of their factsheet ‘Is your personal assistant employed or self-employed?’.

You can also contact Independent Lives. They are an organisation that supports people who employ personal assistants.

Independent Lives

Phone: 01903 219 482 (option 3)


More information

See further leaflets and factsheets

Contact us to get copies of this factsheet, or any of the other leaflets or factsheets mentioned.

Email: Health and Social Care Connect
Phone: 0345 60 80 191
Minicom : 18001 0345 60 80 191