Electrical waste

Electrical waste includes anything that is powered by electricity or batteries, from phones and hairdryers to fridges and washing machines, computers and televisions.

Where can I recycle electrical waste?

Household waste recycling sites accept any electrical waste from home. Special containers are provided to ensure these items are collected separately so they are recycled or disposed of safely rather than being thrown away.

Residents in Hastings Borough, Rother District and Wealden District Council areas can recycle small electrical items from home like irons, toasters, radios, hairdryers and phones with their recycling or rubbish collection service. Items must be small enough to fit in a plastic carrier bag, and the bag placed on top of the recycling or rubbish bin on the usual day of collection. Do not place these items inside your bins. Batteries (if removable) must be placed in a separate bag again on top of the bin.

Retailer take back schemes. Some retailers take back old electrical goods when you buy a new item from them.

Help for businesses

Contact the following companies about their commercial recycling collection service:

Fluorescent tubes and energy saving bulbs

These contain small amounts of mercury, which is a hazardous waste and should not be placed in your dustbin.

Household waste recycling sites accept tubes and energy saving bulbs from home for recycling.

If you break an energy saving bulb, open a window for 15 minutes, put the broken glass into a sealed plastic bag and take to your local household waste recycling site.

Visit Recolight for more information about disposing of these bulbs.

Help for businesses

Contact the following companies about their commercial recycling collection service:

Fridges and freezers

By law all CFC gases used in refrigeration equipment has to be removed and destroyed before the main unit is recycled or disposed of.

Household waste recycling sites accept fridges and freezers from your own home for recycling free of charge.

Your local borough or district council may collect and recycle bulky items from your home or business (there is a charge for this service).

Help for businesses

MDJ Light Bros Ltd may also be able to provide a recycling service:


Some organisations accept working computers and monitors for refurbishment provided they meet certain standards:

Help for businesses

The organisations listed above may be able to help or try your supplier as many provide a take-back service.

Mobile phones

To recycle mobile phones, try:


Household chemicals from your own home, except petrol, can be taken in small quantities to your local household waste recycling site. Please make sure they are in a sealed container and clearly labelled.

Email the Waste Team for advice if you are unable to get to your local site or need to dispose of:

  • large amounts of chemicals
  • petrol

The details given above in no way imply a recommendation or endorsement by us.

Was this page helpful?

Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.