Rubbish and recycling collections from your home


There have been some changes to your rubbish and recycling collections including placing glass bottles and jars into your main recycling bin, but leaving food and drink cartons (Tetra Pak) out.

Your district or borough council organises the collection of rubbish and recycling from your home. They are also responsible for litter clearance, litter bins and for providing mini recycling points often located in supermarket car parks.

From the end of June 2019, there will be some changes to your rubbish and recycling collection, as well as some changes to how the recycling is managed afterwards.

Bottle bank for green glass
Bottle bank for green glass

Find out from your district or borough council about:

  • What day your collection is due
  • Reporting a missed rubbish or recycling collection
  • What you can put in your recycling container
  • What you can recycle in your area at the local recycling points
  • Applying for special help with your rubbish and recycling collection if you need it (‘assisted collections’)
  • Requesting a clinical waste (such as sharps) collection
  • Arranging a collection for household items that are too bulky for your rubbish bin – or try donating for reuse (see contact details on our furniture re-use and recycling page)
  • Joining a local garden waste collection scheme, where available
  • Requesting a new bin or recycling container
  • Reporting an overflowing litter bin


Which district or borough do I live in?

If you’re not sure which district or borough council to contact, see:

Or see the map on our district and borough council page