1. Home
  2. Births, deaths, marriages and citizenship
  3. Marriage venue licensing
  4. Registering a building for worship and as a place of marriage

Registering a building for worship and as a place of marriage

Christmas opening times

See our Christmas opening times here

Certificates posted after 20 December may not arrive until after 5 January.

If you require your certificates earlier, please arrange to collect them in person. 

1. Registering as a place of worship

A congregation may apply to officially register their building of worship with East Sussex County Council.

Registering your building may offer tax advantages, and the opportunity to register it as a venue for marriage ceremonies.

Church of England

All Church of England denominated churches in East Sussex must apply to The Diocese of Chichester who will notify the General Register Office once approved for worship.

Other denominations

To register as a place of worship, download and complete General Register Office Form 76 (gov.uk) and return 2 copies with payment of £29, payable to East Sussex County Council, to:

Licensing Officer
Register Office,
Town Hall,
Grove Road,
BN21 4UG

Email VenueLicensing@eastsussex.gov.uk for help or advice.

Registration services logo

Was this page helpful?

Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.