A miscarriage is the loss of a pregnancy during the first 23 weeks.

If your pregnancy ends before 24 weeks, you can get a certificate in memory of your baby.

It’s free to get a certificate.

You do not need to request a certificate if you prefer not to. It’s optional.

The certificate is not a legal document - for example you cannot use it to claim benefits. The certificate will not be added to your GP record.

Request a baby loss certificate - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Further help can be found at The Miscarriage Association: Pregnancy Loss Information & Support

If your pregnancy ends from 24 weeks onwards, you need to register a stillbirth instead.