Diverting a public right of way

Most public rights of way cross over privately owned land and landowners can apply to the County Council to divert a path to an alternative route. This requires a formal legal process, since they are legally recorded public highways. If you would like to discuss diverting a public right of way, please contact the Rights of Way Team.

Contact the Rights of Way Team

Please be aware that limited resources can be allocated to diversions, since it not a statutory duty, and due to the high number of applications we receive we operate a waiting list.

It is not possible to estimate how long it will take to process or make a decision on an application from the point of receiving it. This will depend on the priority of the application, the number of applications we are currently processing and the complexity of those cases. However, new applicants are generally advised that they should expect at least a 2 year wait for an application to be processed once it is on the waiting list.

Further advice on the process, the costs, and the likely waiting period can be obtained by contacting us.