Diverting a public right of way

Most public rights of way cross over privately owned land. Landowners can apply to divert a path to an alternative route. This involves a legal process, as they are legally recorded public highways. To discuss diverting a public right of way, please contact the Rights of Way Team.

Please be aware there is a waiting list for diversions. They are not a statutory duty, so we can only allocate limited resources.

It is not possible to estimate how long an application will take to process. This will depend on the priority and the number and complexity of applications already in progress. However, new applicants should expect at least a 2 year wait for an application to be processed.

Further advice on the process, the costs, and the likely waiting period can be obtained by contacting us.

Related content

Was this page helpful?

Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.