Protecting against future claims

Protecting land against future claims

A path used by the public for 20 years or more can become a public right of way. An application can then be made for it to be recorded on the Definitive Map and Statement. To help prevent this, landowners can register a deposit on their land.

Similarly, land used by the public for recreation for more than 20 years can become a town or village green. Landowners can register a deposit to prevent a future claim.

How to make a deposit

Please note: we know that some of these files might not be suitable for users of assistive technology. 

Therefore if you need a file in an accessible format, please contact us. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use. We will then contact you about the next step.

To make a deposit, landowners should,

  • Refer to the Defra guidance - GOV.UK
  • deposit a map and statement using the template application form [76.9 KB] [docx]. The map should include all recognised public rights of way or town or village greens on the land.
  • Submit an application form. This should be renewed every 20 years, confirming that no new rights of way have been dedicated.
  • Install other measures, such as signs, to challenge any unauthorised public access on their land.

The charge to register a deposit is £416.

Applications may be submitted by email or posted to:

East Sussex County Council
Rights of Way, West B,
County Hall,
St Anne’s Crescent,

For more information, please contact us:

Please note: Responsibility for the validity of the deposit rests with the depositor. We are under no obligation to carry out exhaustive checks.

Was this page helpful?

Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.