Senior Policy Lead, Carbon Reduction, Scope 3
Hours of work: 37 hours per week
Working pattern: Full-time
Closing date: Sunday 11 December 2022
Interview date: Interviews will be held in December 2022
For an informal discussion, please contact Anne Epsom - Head of Policy and Improvement by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you looking for an opportunity to transform the Carbon produced by contract spend, working within a forward thinking, flexible and supportive Procurement team?
Orbis is a shared services partnership between Surrey County Council, East Sussex County Council and Brighton and Hove City Council. Combined, the councils spend around £1.6bn across everything from software to social care services and from cleaning products to sports equipment; in East Sussex Scope 3 emissions are dominated by spend in transport, waste and care services categories.
Orbis Procurement is currently on a drive to standardise the approach to procurement across the three Orbis partner authorities to ensure the benefits of operating as a shared service are fully realised, and that the service operates with an ethos of continuous improvement and compliance with regulations. The development of a central policy team to embed approaches to social value, fair work (including modern slavery) and environmental sustainability is part of this drive.
East Sussex County Council is an Orbis Partner Authority and is wanting to develop and implement a strategy to reduce scope three emissions. This is an exciting opportunity to build on initial baselining and related material, working with senior stakeholders to develop and implement a strategy specific to ESCC’s projected future spend. The role holder will additionally collaborate with colleagues across the partnership to share learning and assist in developing targeted approaches for the reducing carbon emissions across spend categories.
Opportunities for expansion in this role include increased scope 3 specialist work across the Orbis Partnership, and/or broadening policy areas and working to further embed the operations of the central policy team throughout the service.
We are looking for people who have:
- Experience in drafting and implementing policy and or strategy and of driving policy outcomes in an operational setting, including how to embed approaches into existing operational infrastructure.
- Extensive knowledge of scope three emissions and approaches to reduction of carbon emissions.
- Problem solving skills, and a proactive approach to looking ahead for potential problems taking preventative or mitigating action in advance.
- Ability to engage positively with a diverse range of stakeholders, including at senior levels.
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and empathetic manner in all written and verbal forms.
- IT skills including the ability to: identify useful data (including assessing its limitations), understand and make use of analytical outputs, and present findings in a manner suitable for any given audience; develop written reports in good English and following brand guidelines to be able to independently produce material that can be published internally and externally; produce presentations (normally PowerPoint) that are effective and suitable for senior officers and members; and develop material (i.e. raw content) to input into training assets (where technical development of e.g. e-learning modules may be undertaken by others).
- Demonstrate behaviours and values consistent with a professional environment undergoing a period of change in which professionalism, courtesy and a willingness to be agile and adaptable.
Previous experience in public sector procurement is not essential and we welcome applications from those with Degree level skills (obtained via formal education or by way of job-based learning), especially in the areas of Sustainability, environmental preservation and/or carbon reduction.
Please click ‘Apply Now’ to complete your application form for this role.
Interviews will be held in December 2022
One of the things that makes Orbis Procurement a great place to work is flexibility. We want candidates to feel confident to ask about the flexibility they need at work. This could be part time, remote working, compressed hours, or job share. Any candidate who applies for a job with us can ask about flexible working. In return, we are committed to exploring what is possible for the role.
We are committed to providing a healthy work life balance. You will benefit from 23 days annual leave, rising to 25 days after 5 years’ service (with an additional 2 days between Christmas and New Year), a generous local government salary related pension, as well as the option to join our car lease scheme.
Our administrative bases are in Lewes (County Hall), in Reigate (Woodhatch Place) and in Hove Town Hall. Some travel to the other offices is required from time to time.
We offer a diverse range of benefits to help and support you during your employment. More information can be found on our benefits page.
“We Choose East Sussex”
Your starting salary will be pro rata if the above position is part-time or term-time only.
Work Permits: we may be able to obtain a Work Permit for this post but this is subject to meeting the requirements of the UK Border Agency’s Points-based Immigration System.
Due to the restrictions we cannot guarantee that individuals that meet the requirements of the Points-based Immigration System will be issued with clearance to obtain work permits.
If you require any reasonable adjustments, due to disability, to enable you to participate fully in the process please contact the hiring manager on the contact details above.
Reasonable adjustments include things like an offline application form. If you would like to discuss your requirements further, please get in touch.
East Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all suitable candidates, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, disability or age. All applications are treated on merit.
- Job reference
- Number of positions
- £51,201 - £55,925 per annum
- Closing date
- East Sussex County Council
- Business Services
- Contract type
- Work pattern
- Full Time
- Job type
- Administration and Clerical